Degand, Brussels

Easily one of the best men's shops I have been to in a long time. The hats, the canes, the shoes, the pajamas, this is a shop where a man goes to become a gentleman.

Housed in a 5 floor 1911 townhouse on the edge of the main shopping district in Brussels, this is not a shop that a tourist would easily fall into, but it's worth the hunt for any true Sartorialist.

Brioni and Kiton are the shop's main clothing labels, but I would go for their special edit of Edward Green shoes. In fact, they will be opening an entire separate shoe shop in September if everything goes according to plan.

One of the elements of Degand's selection that I was most surprised by was the extent of the formalwear that they offer. I think that says a lot about how the residents of Brussels have retained a sense of Old World elegance and respect for certain public events like weddings, operas and funerals.

Thanks to my good friend Gianpaolo of Al Bazar for tipping me off about this great shop.

Degand is located at 415 Avenue Louise, Brussels